In a time when one in five Bay Area arts organizations has had to close over the past decade (sustainarts.org), ODC Theater is a vital creative incubator that serves Bay Area choreographers, dancers, and the public. In addition to providing resources to nurture and cultivate vibrant local artists, it serves as a unique space for both artists and audience members to explore contemporary and innovative ideas through art.
By donating to ODC Theater you support:
- Culture. ODC Theater presents new and touring work from the Bay Area and beyond, serving as a vital site for artistic encounter and exchange.
- Creative Space. One of SF’s rarest resources. ODC Theater gives artists and community members 8,000 hours of fully and partially subsidized rehearsal, meeting, and performance space annually. In a City where access to art-making space is increasingly rare and prohibitively expensive for many artists, this is truly a gift that gives to our entire arts ecosystem.
- Experimentation. Each of ODC Theater’s four Resident Artists receives a week of fully-staffed technical support time in the theater to experiment and develop their work. ODC Theater provides choreographers with studio time and opportunities to work with talented local dancers as they experiment and take risks, without requiring a resulting public performance – a safe place to explore and dream.
- Mentorship. We match choreographers with ODC artistic leadership, ODC administrators, and professionals from other disciplines to support them as dance makers and nurture them as distinct artistic voices and future arts nonprofit leaders.
- Compensation. Through residencies, we provide artists with commissions and honoraria so they can better sustain themselves and compensate creative collaborators in our expensive Bay Area region.